Wednesday, December 12, 2007

cafeGAINZ Tip of the Day - Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2007

Here's an actual question from an actual reader: "Any tips on warming up your elbows and shoulders? My elbows hurt like hell when I work out my triceps."

Answer: First, take as much time as necessary to properly warm up. I don't care if it takes you 20 minutes to get warm......it beats suffering a pulled/torn muscle or joint malfunction. I'm notorious for taking a long time to warm up my knees for squats and Johnny GAINZ is notorious for taking 25 mins. to warm up his elbows in preparation for DB shoulder press. Second, a great warm up exercise for both shoulders and elbows is push-ups. Start out with your hands wide apart to focus on the shoulders, then move your hands in really close to target the elbows and triceps. I typically do these elevated on a bench so I'm not pushing my full weight. Remeber, this is a "warm up." Third, do whatever exercise you plan on starting out with at a very light weight for a few reps/sets just to make sure you are ready to get after it. Then, get after it!

No comments:

Post a Comment