Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Johnny on the Spot: Vol III

The world's still abuzz over the news dropped here last Tuesday that our own Johnny GAINZ is training for an MMA fight.  Johnny's going to destroy!  He stops by with another "Johnny on the Spot" to show us how he's started his 'pre-training' for the showdown.




1:29 PM those are the burpees i did today, then shadow boxed for 45 seconds, then rest for a min...did that only 3 times and i wanted to puke
  10 of those burpees
1:30 PM me: hahaha nice
1:31 PM Johnny: i got the shadow boxing part off of bodybuilding.com
 me: did you use dumbbells?
 Johnny: yeah...10 pounders my mom has here
 me: send me the shadow boxing link
1:33 PM that workout was based on a standard burpee
  but i felt like i wanted to incorporate a few more muscle groups
 me: so you did that by shadow boxing?
1:34 PM Johnny: no, i used the enhanced burpee
  with weights
 me: oh ok
1:35 PM Johnny: the enhanced burpee does not involve jumping, it is squat down, kick legs out, push up, row, row, jump up, clean squat shoulder press
 me: so after 3 supersets you were dead?
1:36 PM Johnny: yes, extremely
 me: wow, that sounds pretty intense actually
 Johnny: by the time i got to the shadow boxing after the second and third set, i was basically only throwing jabs and ocassional straight rights
1:37 PM i could barely keep my hands up
 me: 10 of the burpees would kill me
  ...if i was doing them at a good pace
 Johnny: yeah
  and they got slower and slower
 me: hahah ok
1:38 PM 
 me: yeah i would imagine....its hard to keep up the quickness towards the end of explosive workouts
 Johnny: yes, it was my first time doing them so my last two sets i wanted to make sure i gathered myself after every burpee
 me: thats why most trainers recommend smaller sets when training explosively
  ok
1:39 PM is this part of your MMA training?
 Johnny: partially
  i have not officially started training exclusively for mma yet but this is great workout to get into shape
1:41 PM and it does work many of the muscles i will be using
  i want to get into shape cardiovascularly before i jump with both feet into my mma training
 me: cool. when does your exclusive MMA training start?
1:42 PM Johnny: well, i am not sure on the official date of my fight yet
  tenatively end of may beginning of june is when the fight will be held
1:43 PM me: i see. well, best of luck Johnny. GET AFTER IT!
1:44 PM Johnny: so i am just trying to get into shape and start training some of the muscles i will need to use so when i do start, i wont have to go through the first few weeks of soreness due to having not used those muscles before
  thank you Wesay
 me: its like optional workouts before training camp
  i like the dedication
  thanks, Johnny
1:45 PM Johnny: the pleasure is mine  
Now don't let Johnny down!  Go out there and try this workout for yourself.  And as always, let us know how you liked it. 

Yours in GAINZ,

-Wesay GAINZ

No comments:

Post a Comment