Thursday, December 10, 2009

Johnny on the Spot: Vol. II

Johnny's back for another volume of "Johnny on the Spot," cafeGAINZ's long-running series in which our very own Johnny GAINZ provides a new fitness tip for the masses.  I'm just kidding, it's not a long-running series...yet (it's only our second volume).....BUT, it will be a long-running series as J.G. and W.G. love giving the people what they want: GAINZ!  OK, that's enough blabbing from me.  Check out our chat transcript about sick total body cardio:





 me: hey Johnny, give me a quick tip...
2:15 PM 
  I know you're a man of immense GAINZ knowledge
2:16 PM Johnny: dude...i started hitting the heavy bag for cardio
  unreal
2:17 PM i have like a million muscles that are sore
  back, chest, core, arms, even my legs a little bit
2:18 PM shoulders
 me: that is nice...nothing better than activating new muscle fibers.

 Johnny: started off by just doing 2 min intervals
 me: i actually don't have much experience with a heavy bag....although my enemies would tell you differently...haha
2:19 PM Johnny: yeah me neither...this gym i started working out at has one in the basement
 me: so what do you actually do for those 2 minutes when you're hitting the bag?
 Johnny: just unload, jabs, hooks, straights
2:20 PM me: ok....sounds like it might be good for dealing with stress too....haha unload
 Johnny: haha..yeah, it is
 me: any advice for your stance or footwork?
2:21 PM Johnny: i mean, i'm right handed, so i stand with my left foot slightly forward
  i actually looked on bodybuilding.com for an actual workout
2:22 PM it's like 20 seconds fast punching, 10 seconds slow punching or jabbing, 20 seconds fast punching again, so on and so forth until i get to two min
  i rest for a min, then do it again
 me: wow, seems intense....i wouldn't expect anything less from J. GAINZ
2:23 PM Johnny: it is very intense
2:24 PM me: two more quick questions....1) how many intervals do you do and 2) how does it differ from regular cardio (like jogging on the treadmill)?
 Johnny: well, i try and go about 10 min or so of actual punching, so that is 4 to 5 intervals
2:25 PM i want to build up to more but it is a lot harder than it sounds
2:26 PM me: ok
 Johnny: it differs from regular cardio because it is a higher intensity form of training
2:27 PM it is more like sprinting rather than jogging
  and i like it because it works many more body parts than conventional cardio
2:28 PM like i said earlier, arms, legs, back, shoulders, chest
2:30 PM me: you know what? that just pumped me up! my neighbor has a heavy bag that he said I could use anytime.....im gonna hit that bad boy tonight before my league basketball game.
  As always, thanks for the spot, Johnny!
 Johnny: no problem
 me: continue to Train Hard
2:31 PM Johnny: you too brother  
So go out there and get after that heavy bag!  And be sure to let us know how it went!  If 4-5 two minute intervals is too tough at first, scale back to 3 intervals at a minute-and-a-half until you build some stamina and muscle memory.  Also, here is another link discussing the benefits and 'how to' of attacking the heavy bag.  That's all for now...Peace!

Yours in GAINZ,

-Wesay GAINZ

No comments:

Post a Comment